Final preparations for B.A.S.K. (Bike Across S. Korea) are underway. I have less than a day to go until I leave for Seoul (eek!). So. Much. To. Do.
Check weather for each day/location of the trek
- Prepare a bag for Sigma’s sitter
- Pack (ugh)
Replace back tire and have bike checked out Dispose of perishables in fridge
- (I’m sure that I’m forgetting something…)
I’ve also managed to plan out where I will be spending each of the four touring nights…
- Day 0: Leave Seoul (0km) … Sunny with rain showers
- Night 1: Yeoju (93km from Seoul) … Rainy on Sat./Sunny on Sun.
- Night 2: Maseong (Jinnam Station) (220km from Seoul) … Sunny on Mon.
- Night 3: Sinyeong (350km)/Cheongtong (360km from Seoul) … Sunny on Tues.
- Night 4: Habuk (Tongdosa) (450km from Seoul) … Sunny on Wed.
- Day 5: End in Busan (500km) … Sunny on Thurs.
This means that I will be averaging roughly 112km (70 miles) a day for the first four days. On the fifth day I will finish up the tour with a 48km (30 mile) ride into Busan.
I am aiming to pack only essentials (+some vegetarian foodstuffs). While I consider myself to be a decently strong person generally, I worry about touring with a completely loaded bike. Ultimately, at this point, I just don’t think that I am strong enough to navigate Korea’s mountains with heavy panniers.
Here’s what I am thinking:
- Toolkit/patch kit
- Smart phone + extra battery + charger
- Camera + Charger
- 1 short sleeve jersey/ 1 long sleeve jersey
- 1 pair bike shorts/ 1 pair leggings
- 1 pair PJs
- 5 pairs underwear/ 2 pairs socks
- 2 sports bras
- 1 pair Keens
- Oatmeal/Almonds/Soyjoys/Peanut Butter
- Passport/Alien Registration Card
- Itinerary back to Cheonan
Alright, well… I guess I should wrap this post up. It has gone on long enough and its disjointed and unwieldy nature might scare off some of my followers! hah!